[tweetmeme source=”FrenchNad” only_single=false]July 4, 1776… the signing of the declaration of independence by the Founding Fathers. What an important day for America!
QUALIFYING TO BE “AMERICAN”
Notice I wrote “OUR country”. It has been 10 years since I have been living in the USA, and it has taken me that long to finally feel like I belong here. I even took the citizenship oath a couple of years ago, and had to study for a test! I wonder if most Americans, and a lot of our au pairs, know some of the basic questions asked about the constitution, the political and legal system?
Some are more tedious and quickly forgotten, but others I think would be worth discussing around the dinner table with your spouse, children and your au pair… and test their knowledge of their (host) country!
- How many stars are there in the flag and what does each stand for?
- What do the stripes on the flag represent?
- What is the 4th of July?
- Independence from whom?
- Who was the first President of the United States?
- For how long do we elect the President?
- Who is the Vice-President?
- Why did the Pilgrims come to America?
- What are the 13 original States called and name them.
- Name the right guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.
These are not too difficult, and hopefully your family passed the test. But I believe knowledge is liberty, and liberty can only be appreciated when we understand there was a price paid to obtain it.
AN “INDEPENDENCE DAY GIFT” FOR NEW HOST FAMILIES!
Parents applying to the au pair program between July 6 and July 31, receive ONE FREE MONTH OF CHILDCARE! A little bit of independence and flexibility with balancing your career and family life, in the form of a nice $550.00 discount on your 12-month au pair childcare program fee. Just contact me as always for more details!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!