Immigration documents & Travel outside USA

Here is information about your immigration documents you should have at all times as well as traveling outside the USA!

1/ Passports
Passports are issued by your home country. To replace a passport, you should contact your home country’s embassy. If a passport is lost, travel outside the U.S. during your year is restricted, unless you return to your home country to get a replacement visa. Only the passport, not the J-1 visa can be replaced in the U.S.

2/ DS-2019 form
The DS-2019 form is printed on regular white paper and has a bar code on it. The heading at the top is ‘Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1)  Status’.

To replace lost or damaged DS-2019 form, you should contact Operations

at Cultural Care at 1-800-448-5753, and a new one will be sent to you.

3/ I-94 card (landing card, normally stapled in the passport)

To replace an I-94 card, you must contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) You need to file the form ‘I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Non immigrant Arrival-Departure Document’ in order to get a new I-94. All USCIS forms are available by submitting

a request online, or by calling 1-800-870-3676. The fee for replacing an I-94 card as of 10/26/05 is $160. Please refer to the following web address for further information about replacing the I-94 card:

If any of the three immigration documents are lost or stolen, you should REPLACE THEM IMMEDIATELY. Any fees required for replacing any of these forms are your responsibility.







If you are leaving the US during your year, the visa form (DS-2019) NEEDS TO BE SIGNED by an Alternate Responsible Officer at Cultural Care Au Pair in Boston.

You should send the following items to the Operations department WELL

1/ Original DS-2019 form (used to be IAP-66)
2/ A letter, stating the dates of travel
3/ A self-addressed, stamped envelope

These items should be sent to:

Cultural Care Au Pair
Attn: Operations
One Education Street
Cambridge, MA  02141

This applies even when you are traveling to Canada or Mexico. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to check whether you need a VISA for the country to which you are traveling. Many non-Western European au pairs are required to obtain a tourist visa to visit Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

You should contact the closest embassy of your destination country for information and visa applications. To find the closest Embassy or Consulate go to

If you lack any of the appropriate documents, you may be DENIED ENTRY into the country and prohibited from boarding the plane.

The J-1 visa does not permit travel outside of the U.S. during your 13th month. You may travel to Hawaii during this month, but not Alaska.


Overnight the DS-2019 form and dates of travel to Operations, along with the address and phone number in the home country. Cultural Care will sign the form and send it to you.

If you travel outside of the U.S. without your DS-2019 form, you will most likely be allowed back into the U.S., but your visa will be changed to

a 30-day tourist visa. You must request a signature for the DS-2019 form to bring (along with your passport) to INS in order to be re-admitted on the J-1 visa. There may be a charge of up to $120 for this service – this would be your responsibility.

If you have more questions call the Boston Office at 1-800-333-6056.


About FrenchNad

English to French Translator & Interpreter; blogging at about a French word of the day, the challenges of interpreting and translating, and my adventures in Oregon!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s